Name: Karen Henderson
City of Residence: Viera, Florida
Occupation: Mom, School Board Member
Graduate MIHS, BCC, Rollins College BS Business Administration
Systems Analyst, Programmer, Consultant
What makes you the best candidate in 300 words or less?
1) The parent of two Brevard Public School students, and having served 3.5 years as the District 4 Board Member, I am profoundly aware of the needs and concerns of our district as well as the unique issues facing District 4. I am a researcher, problem solver and genuinely want to find solutions that add value to our children’s educational experiences.
2) I am passionate about educating the children of Brevard County, so much so that I have become actively involved in state-level committees and task teams in an effort to improve education for all Florida students.
3) I promised to ‘keep children first’, even with decreased revenues of $150 million over the past 3.5 years. A review of my voting records will clearly indicate that all board decisions have been made while keeping our children’s education a priority.
4) I have continued to educate myself on all issues facing our district. I have taken the steps necessary to become a Certified Board member . http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/This_Week/releases/pdf/06-20-12-Henderson.html
5) With over 20 years of experience in Systems Analysis, programming and data administration my background is a valuable asset when taking a systemic approach to tackling the issues that currently face our district.
6) As a parent I understand the realities of FCAT on our children, teachers and our district. I have been selected to participate on the Florida School Board Association Task Force that will initiate ideas and work with legislators to make FCAT changes that are fair and less punitive to our children.
7) I have the time, energy, work ethic and know how to research, weigh options, view issues from all angles and then make decisions that are in the best interest of all Brevard students.
8) I have served with honesty and integrity.